This whole thing stemmed out of my frustration with the D20 system. Whenever I came up with a character concept, I couldn't get a good fit with any of the classes. I learned to settle on close enough or, more often, just picked a combination of class, feats and skills that I liked or felt would be most useful and didn't worry about anything else.
In general, I'm trying to design the system that I want to play.
- I want completely customizable characters and fluid game play.
- The system will be universal and character oriented.
- Advancement will be based on completing goals related to character concepts, not killing things.
- Resolution will have more emphasis on skill than luck.
- Anybody can attempt anything, training will determine success.
- I want to make combat more engaging and natural feeling, not just attack/apply damage/next player.