Thursday, June 14, 2012

Reactions to The Avengers

Hubby and I went to see the Avengers. Once I got past the Joss fangirl giddiness, I realized it served as a perfect example of an issue I have noticed since I started running games.

Everyone wants to be a superhero.

I don't mean it in a literal 'superhero with powers and such' way, but in a 'everyone is obsessed with getting stronger and better' way. Call it powergaming or munchkinism or whatever, it's frustrating (I'm guilty of it too, don't call me a hypocrite).

Don't get me wrong, growth is healthy, but it seems like everyone wants to skip over the origin story and get straight to the supreme bad-assness.

I loved the heroes of the movie (Stark is hilarious), but... want to know who I thought was the coolest person in the movie?

This guy.
Just an average person who did something incredibly brave and kinda stupid. No super-soldier serum, no souped-up tech (well sort of, but I don't think it counts). He took what he had and used it. His death scene was more poignant than Stark's risking his life to save the ship moment or the Hulk being more than mindless destruction and saving his friend.



And in his final moments, he got one over on a demi-god.

No comments:

Post a Comment